Friday, January 16, 2009

Hugh Hefner and I Have A Lot in Common.


Hugh and I both go to work in our PJ's, and to me that's a lot. It's a Big Deal. Not that I actually wear my PJ's to work, and I've never owned a silky lounging robe but I do wear incredibly comfy clothes that I wouldn't be caught dead wearing in Walmart. Sometimes I even take my home brewed coffee with me.

That's about where the similarities end. Or do they?

Because I work for myself in a studio located 100 feet from the back door of my residence, wear comfy clothes (minus the smoking jacket), slippers, make enticing handmade DIY crafting kits, talk to fabulous and friendly people on the phone, exchange informative and funny emails with customers, and have brainstorming sessions on the next product doesn't mean I don't have a "real job". I still have to maintain a structured, sometimes grueling studio schedule requiring all kinds of personal and professional commitment to meet my daily, weekly, and monthly goals. I'm sure Hugh has had to do the same over the years. There aren't any sick days, and holidays are bonus days to catch up on paperwork.

I love what I do not because I can wear my PJ's to work, I love what I do because it's a great deal of fun, and I bet dollars to doughnuts Hugh has fun, too!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm not sure I can compare me to Hugh - or if I'd want to! - but I can agree on the benefits and issues of self-employment.

I'm dressed to go work but my commute is a stumble down the hall to flick the coffee pot on and boot the computer up. I spend mornings - and I am an early morning gal - doing computer related work for one job and afternoons and sometimes the evening doing the art related work for the other job.

Sometimes when I have back to back shows and meetings with cranky computer(owners) I would like to hide but really, it usually only takes five minutes of sitting in my own comfy chair, at my own comfy station working for my own comfy self to make that all go away...

Beena said...

It's my goal to be able to work from home as well. I attempted to once and it was a joy and I am ready to do it again. This time however, using my creative skills and doing something I do truly love. Thanks for the posts they were both inspirational.

LittleGemsbyKari said...

Make sure there aren't any "bunnies" on your lawn :)

Ring by Ring Designs said...

Hugh Hefner, I'm not. But love my sweats or jeans and warm sweater. Once in awhile a customer comes over and I hurry to brush my hair and put on lipstick. (I look sick with out lipstick)