Monday, July 28, 2008

Desperate Times Call for Sushi Rolls


Desperate times call for desperate measures, and these are indeed desperate times. Desperate because I can't find sushi within an hour and a half drive from here, however many miles that translates into, I don't know, let's just call it a wee distance.

Mr. Howes and I took a drive up to Columbus, OH over the weekend and one of my requests, behind a pedicure, behind a good bookstore, behind Belgium chocolate was a decent sushi experience. And so we did.

Thanks to our Garmin, we located Kobe Japanese Steakhouse and Sushi Bar and while the teppanyaki menu looked appealing, I was driven by a mad craving for sushi. The wasabi, the ginger, the sesame and all the yummy goodness packed inside the roll of rice is just something so precious, like a parcel of culinary perfection waiting to be savored. And it was good.

As I left, I thanked the staff in my customary Midwestern manner, and parted with the comment that I don't have access to such delicious sushi where I live. There was such shock (horror?) mixed with sadness that I decided to take matters into my own hands once and for all.

Today I ordered a sushi kit. I'm a DIY kind of gal and a problem solver, so I purchased the Sushi Chef Sushi-Making Kit on amazon.com Other problems I need to solve include finding the right rice locally, getting my hands on some sake (dry county), and the time and the patience to create it all.

I also found this great site online, www.makemysushi.com that has enough information and hand holding to make my adventures in sushi-making a little simpler.

4 comments:

kim* said...

there are SO many sushi places here. there are a few around here that have the revolving belt that you place your order in a cup and you can grab your order or items off it.

Anonymous said...

Isn't it sad what we have to do for the food we love? I'm a transplant from NJ and I have no shame in smuggling NY style, REAL NY style pizza in my carry-on when I travel home for a visit.
Well written blog, BTW.

MsAnomaly said...

My son loves sushi! We live in NE Ohio, and our closest sushi place is also a good half-hour drive away. Thanks for letting us know about this restaurant!

Gray Eyed Scorpio said...

I no longer pity myself for the 45 minute drive to sushi!